The kind of bragging that pleases God
Let us realize some few facts from these verses:
1. The fact that the strong, the rich, the wise are talked of here simply means they are the common people who like bragging. Yes, they may think they are safe, protected, will live longer or healthier and are the blessed. Whatever they think of themselves, they are fond of bragging.
2. The poor, the weak, the fools have nothing to brag about. In other words, there is nothing to be proud of. Yet this does not make them better or safe.
3. God is not only showing us what we should not brag about, but He is also telling us what we should brag about. Some people think that when God condemns the rich, strong, and wise, he has no accusation against the poor, the weak, and the fools. That is a lie. So do not be happy that you are poor or weak, it won't earn you favors from God.
4. God is asking us to brag about him. Yes, that is the message. It is not complete to just not brag, it is complete when we brag about God. Whether rich or poor, weak or strong, wise or foolish, brag about the Lord and the rest do not count.
5. What do we brag about God? That he is kind and fair and does right things on earth. Jeremiah prophesied during the times of destruction of Judah and the temple. So many people in those days would think He was unfair and merciless. But God had given them time to ponder on His warnings and repent, but they had not listened to Him and so punishing them was not His making, but their own decision.
Yes, that is the bragging that pleases the Lord.
As we hustle through today and through our different tasks, what are we bragging about? It really does not mean we should not celebrate our victories and accomplishments but we should recognize that we are whatever we are because God allowed us to be and give thanks to Him. Do we preach his kindness, saving grace and fairness to those who do not know Him?
I wish you a great and beautiful day.
The Complete You Ministry, www.nemvicx.blogspot.com